Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pregnancy and (Shape?) Issues

I was inspired by a post on Karen Cheng about her pregnancy weight issues. I found that my experience rather similar to hers. But unlike her, I've only been pregnant twice.

My First Pregnancy
Now this was when I was 25, young, fit (I used to run in the gym) and healthy. I was 41kg at the time. It was some time after my wedding and I determined to keep my weight down. I remember eating whatever my body allowed me to (after all the first trimester nausea). I put on 15kg by the end of the 3rd trimester.

After giving birth, my first month was quite a difficult time. I knew all about the theory of looking after an infant. But that still didn't prepare me for the sleepness nights and dazed days. So I lost a lot of weight by the end of the month.

It was only after Bryan turned 6 months, that I finally managed to find some time on the weekends to go jogging again. By the end of the first year, I was almost back to my old shape and weight.

The Second Time
I was 28 when I fell pregnant with Gabriel. My weight was about 42kg then. I managed to go to the gym once a week then. This time, I watched my weight gain quite carefully and didn't gorge myself as much. I put on slightly less, about 13kg this time. I still got the backaches and I didn't sleep so well during the 3rd trimester.

After Gabriel's birth, I felt less stressed about looking after a newborn and about breastfeeding. My weight loss was far more gradual than my first pregnancy. But the main worry I had was that this time, I had that jiggly belly thing going.

And 8 months on, it's still there! Granted I still haven't found the time to go jogging again. But I'm sure it wasn't as bad the last time around. It feels like a lump of dough. Yuck!

I wonder if I should invest in some tummy creams. Do they work? And I really do have to find time to go to the gym again.

So I figured
Having children in the early twenties is much better for Mommy's figure.

No comments: