Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khalid Houssein.

The author writes about two women in Afganistan, their lives and how they're shaped by their culture and the politics. It's a whole different world compared to what we read in the papers everyday. A small event that we simply dismiss is front page news. But what really struck me was the stark contrast in the way women are seen in Afganistan. That they aren't allowed to choose who they marry, who they see, what they do, where they go and what they wear. And it's not as if it's written in the 1900s. This book relates what's happening even now, post 9-11 and the invasion of Afganistan.

Yet in the midst of all the oppression and war, we still see how the women manage to still have their own individuality and character. And how they still stand up for each other and for the love of their families and country.

I am really so much more thankful for being blessed with the life I have. The opportunity that I had to travel. And for being able to complete my education. But especially blessed for having a loving husband and family who appreciates me.

No comments: