Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Season of Advent

Or 'What Christmas Really Means'.

In December, when I look around. There's Christmas decorations everywhere. The Christmas trees, bright lights, the Christmas sales.

But I wonder how many people out there walking around ever think about the meaning of Christmas. The reason for this celebration.

I know my boys think about the toys they'll be getting. Most of us with a full time job think about the end of the year and the vacations they've got planned. Mothers think about the family dinners and get-togethers.

Christmas is about all those things. But it's also about a baby that was born, who changed the lives of so many. He gives us meaning and purpose. And opened the way for us to reach God personally.

I wonder what Mary thought about when she realised her child would be the Saviour of the world. How do I know what my boys will grow up to be? How do I know the choices I make for them will be the right one? Or does it not matter? Will the Lord guide them to the right path anyway?

No comments: