Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pilates

I had my first pilates class at my club this weekend. It's the first time in months that I've exercised on purpose. It felt really good. Pilates is a set of exercises based on dance training, It improves strength and flexibility. And it also helps the core muscles, posture and balance.

The class isn't very big, with only about 14 students. The coach is a petite lady who is quite good. She explained each exercise and which muscles it's working. The class is easy enough for beginners to understand yet also can be easily modified for advanced students. Some of the poses can be really difficult to hold. For example, you can try this...

Get down on all fours, hands directly below shoulders and knees below hips. Keep your back in neutral position, which is somewhere between arching the back and rounding the back. Then hold your core body muscles as still as possible, raise your right leg in the same line as your back. And raise your left arm to the horizontal position. While you are desperately trying not to shake too much, the instructor goes, "breathe, breathe". I felt like a cat trying to balance on a clothes line while giving birth.

I think it will be great to attend the class right after a quick cardio session. It would then be a all round workout session. If I can find the time...

Meanwhile, I'm quite happy with my weight loss. After delivering Gabriel, I gained 7kg. Since then, I've lost 3kg in 2 months. I'm hoping to be able to lose another 1kg or so by Christmas. I'm also starting to fit into my old clothes, which is really great. Even my wedding ring fits.

No comments: